If you are an avid gardener like me then you must have the same feeling when the winter months start knocking on your door. You just hate the wasted opportunity of growing more plants. If you don’t have your own green house (Who can afford something like that these days?) then your gardening is going to be severely limited when the cold starts to set in. But is it absolutely necessary that you have to stop gardening by October? Absolutely not! As a proof of that here are some of the plants that we recommend that you plant during this period:
Good Plants to Grow in October– There are several types of plants that can have a good start in October. For example some trees can thrive during these months. Also there are some flowers that can you can place on pots. There are also some cold weather bulbs that you can plant during this time. But in my opinion the best ones to plant during this period are vegetables that can provide you with some additional and tasty food.
1. Broad Beans- Aside from the pods the tops of this plant is also a delicious and nutritious food source but you have to remember not to pick them too early or you might affect the development of the plants. You need to place sticks around the plant to ensure that they can have some support when they start to shoot upwards. Beans that are planted in October are in some ways better than those planted in earlier months.
2. Asparagus- This is one of my favourite food not just vegetables but among other kinds of food as well. Forget the impression that it is difficult to work an asparagus bed. Once you have got it going and the keep it weed free then you should be on the right track. Don’t forget though that you need to wait a full two years before you can taste them.
3. Garlic- This is a very useful spice that can add a distinct flavour to your cooking. Did you also know that it is considered to be one of the easiest crops to grow? Yes it is. When you place the cloves on the ground, you need to make sure that you place them to a depth of 2.5 inches and that you give them a space of a foot apart from each other.
4. Onions- This is another useful vegetable that you can plant in the month of October. Just be sure that you pick the varieties that are meant to go in during the colder months.
5. Lettuce- There is a type of lettuce that can withstand the colder months. This can provide you with some nice salads during winter, but you have to bear in mind that they might need a lot more care than the other vegetables listed here since they are really more vulnerable despite the fact that they are meant to withstand the cold months.
These are just some of the plants that you can grow during October.