Monosodium Glutamate Allergy

There are lots of selections of tasty treats that many people would like to eat. The foods are very enticing and have their own unique taste. This is one of the reasons why people have their own favorite food. Presently, there are numerous ingredients that you can buy to make your favorite treat. But, there is a very familiar ingredient that many cooks use to add flavor. Usually, Monosodium Glutamate or MSG is mixed in lots of different kinds of food.

Monosodium Glutamate is characteristically a kind of food taste enhancer. It is an ingredient in many dishes and food additives such as stock cubes, catsup, barbecue sauce, salad dressings, canned foods, junk foods, jerky, and seasoning mix. Numerous studies highlight the harmful effects of this ingredient to the body. Studies show that frequent intake of this flavor enhancer can create tolerance to its taste. After tolerance happens, an individual would tend to crave for more MSG in order to have food satisfaction. What many do not know is that this can cause MSG intoxication that can lead to other unwanted complications.

Though, MSG may also be a source of an allergy. If a person sensitive to MSG consumes a food mixed with MSG, the person will have a hypersensitivity reaction coming from his own immune system. After ingestion, the immune system would label the substance as a foreign invader and begin the inflammatory reaction. Typical symptoms of the allergic reaction are nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and skin rash. In extreme instances, anaphylactic shock is experienced in which there is constraint of airway and inhalation that is caused of the systemic inflammation.

Various clinical studies have been made concerning MSG allergy. The studies pointed out that MSG can make the neurons in our body to shoot to activate the hypersensitivity response. In addition, MSG also amplifies the concentrations of histamine, an inflammatory chemical mediator, by about 150%. The too rapid firing of neurons and excessive histamine levels yield the usual symptoms and probably anaphylactic reaction.

Avoidance is far better than cure. Persons sensitive to MSG must avoid dishes which has MSG. That person should always be very cautious with his food intake. If the allergic response is already experienced, take a single dose of epinephrine every day especially in severe cases with anaphylactic shock. If you are sensitive to MSG, talk with your doctor on how you can manage this concern.