All new businesses, whether online or offline, struggle with the same hurdles when first starting. How to bring in more customers without exhausting their entire budget? There are numerous ways to gain free exposure to help build name or brand recognition that will guarantee success and not break the bank.
1. Blogging – A blog is a simple and and free way to promote your product or service to a large audience. Blog is short for weblog and just means an online outlet for ongoing commentary and discussion. Typically, everyday you would post commentary of new products, new features or any kind of new information that would benefit your readers. Starting a blog is easy. You can begin by going to Blogger.com, sign-up, find a great template and start writing. Be sure to write articles that will intrigue and provoke readers to comment and link back to your article.
2. Article Writing – Article writing is the process by which a website owner writes articles that include links to content on their website, which are then published in article directories, such as GoArticles, EzineArticles and HubPages in order to receive a link backlink to their own website. Why is this important? Because every time another website hyperlinks to your website, it counts as a vote that your website is the most popular option for the that search term. So if you have the most links pointing to your website for “pink diamond doggy tags” then when someone searches for that term your site will be in the first position.
3. Forum Marketing – There are tons of forums online now and each of them are dedicated to a different topic. Search Google for forums related to your business topic, sign up for an account and start advertising your product or service. The best way to be noticed in forums, is to find forums with current, active and relevant postings, so that you can make a real contribution to the discussion, while subtlety promoting yourself. Just note that blatantly advertising on these forums will turn off potential customers and possibly get you banned from making future postings.
4. Business Website – One of the most critical steps of gaining exposure online is learning how to make a website. This option will probably be yield the the biggest return of investments of time and money. Your website will be the one place where you will have available any kind of information a customer would need about your product or service. This website should also include contact information and your blog posts can also be integrated.
5. Free Ad Spaces/Marketplaces – Free ad spaces and marketplaces can be online garbage dumps. They will be filled to the top with people and ads just like yours, promoting all kinds of junk no one wants. So what’s the point of posting your ads? Well, it’s free – and if you can include a link back to your website, it’s a win win. Plus if you have implemented some sort of link tracking system, you can see if you are getting any traffic from your ads and you’ll see what’s effective and what’s not.
Figuring out how to start a business with no money in itself is hard, but if you have no money available for advertising either, it can be even harder. With these tips, you should be able to see a significant increase in sales and clicks to your website in just a few months.