The Vinca Minor, also known as the periwinkle is a low trailing plant that can do pretty well in areas that are shady. This plant is prized for its flowers that can bloom in several different colors. Normally it is used in landscaping in order to prevent soil erosion and in gardens as a filler around other plants.
How it Looks Like- The Vinca Minor is three to five inches in height and is equipped with wiry stems. The leaves are 1 to 2 inches long and are dark green in color. The leaves and the stem can give off a white looking sap when broken. The vines that are still small can produce flowers of varying colors.
What the Plant Likes- When cultivating the Vinca Minor and any other plant the most important thing to note about it is the fact that it thrives in the shade. In nature this plant can grow excellently well under the shade of the large trees. It can do well when there is lack of water and moisture and can also thrive even when there is competition from tree roots. Although it grows best in well-drained soil it can adapt quite fast. It can also handle cold climates. The biggest thing to avoid for this plant is direct sunlight.
How to Plant Vinca Minor- Here are some steps that you can follow in order to plant and propagate this plant:
1. You can check for Vinca Minor Plants during spring or maybe even the summer. If you live in a warm climate then you can get them all year round.
2. In picking a plant to buy, the best sign are new bud and flowers which means that it is still developing.
3. Pick a place that is shaded either by trees or other plants in your garden.
4. Dig a hole for each plant that you have. It should not go deeper than the ones that were used by the originally for the plant.
5. Be sure to put some plant fertilizer on each hole to speed things up for the development of the plant.
6. Although this plant can resist the lack of moisture it is still necessary for you to use you still need to water it regularly during the first year of the plant just to make sure that it is not going to have hard time and that it can get all the ingredients for it to grow well.
These are just the steps that you can follow in order to make sure that you can plant your
Reminder– One thing that you should bear in mind when you are planting this vine is that it is very invasive. If you just allow it to grow without any controls then it can crowd out the other plants in a garden. That is why you have to make sure that you watch over this plant and make sure that you can take care of it in a very good way. Otherwise if you just let it grow on its own, you might have a problem in your garden eventually.