The kiwi fruit is very beneficial fruit. It is the source of several vitamins and nutrients that is needed by the body. We can get vitamins A, C and E from it. It is popular because of the slight sweet flavor and the slight crunch that you can get from the fruit. This plant can be grown in your garden and it can be a great addition there. If you want to make the Kiwi plant as the latest addition to your garden then this article might be able to help you out. Here are some of the steps that you can follow on how to grow Kiwi plants:
1. Kiwi plants can last for a long time. Some plants have been known to live for up to 50 years. It is a lot similar to the grape plant in the way that it can be planted and grown. One common misconception about Kiwi plants that you can avoid is that they can thrive where peaches and citrus grow well. These plants can grow in spots that are exposed to the sun and they can still thrive in soil that is not so rich. The Kiwi can not grow well in such conditions.
2. One thing that you can keep in mind about the Kiwi plant is that there are male and female types of these plants. This means that you need to plant both varieties if you want to get some Kiwi fruit from your garden.
3. The Kiwi bears fruit during the cold season. As a plant it is very well adapted to very cold temperatures. The only thing that you need to bear in mind is that the Kiwi plant can not withstand of an early frost.
4. You need to plant the Kiwi in a space that receives enough sunlight but not too much. Soil that is rich and compact is not going to work well for Kiwi plants as well as soil that is too rough and dry. You also need to make sure that there is adequate protection for the plants against strong wind. The soil that you use should also be slightly acidic.
4. Use very little fertilizers with this type of plant as well since the roots of Kiwi plants are highly sensitive and can easily be burned by too much chemical or fertilizer on the soil.
5. Keep in mind that you can also use the Kiwi plant as a hedge around your garden. You can set them as natural fence and barriers that can protect the other plants that you have. They are great to look at with their beautiful leaves and once they start bearing fruit they can be doubly beneficial to you. As I have already mentioned earlier a kiwi plant can live for many decades and so you can include this in the long term plans for your garden.
These are just some of the things that you have to keep in mind when you want to use the Kiwi plant in your garden.